Hello everyone! A delicious dinner recipe for you today! Sweet & Sour Chicken. A simple dish to put together for the ultimate fakeaway.
I have cooked my chicken in the air fryer to get some nice coating on the chicken which helps the sauce coat super well. The chicken can easily be baked or pan fried instead. A totally optional step I did was add about 1-2 tsp of MSG into my sauce. I know its not easily available in your local supermarkets but all Asian supermarkets will have it. This helps give that extra Unami taste to your dish. Like I said though completely optional.
Any meats or veggies can be used in this dish top! Its all up to you on what you love! I went with a classic chicken and pepper combo. This recipe used tinned pineapple, this is so we get some lovely sweet juices that come in the tin to make our sauce. You could definitely use fresh pineapple but I would replace the juices with some chicken stock instead maybe!
If you have any questions Dm me on Instagram. Happy Baking! <3 Keep an eye out on my Instagram for a Reel of me making this Sweet & Sour Chicken !
Sweet & Sour Chicken
- Frying pan
- Weighing scales
- Chopping board
- 400 grams Tinned Pineapple (With its juice)
- 200 grams Ketchup
- 45 grams Vinegar I used rice wine
- 100 grams Light Brown Sugar
- 20 grams Light soy sauce
- ¼ tsp Chilli flakes
- ¼ tsp Sesame oil
- 400 grams Diced Chicken Coated in 35g Cornflour
- ½ Red pepper
- ½ Green pepper
- ½ Yellow pepper
- 1 Onion
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 5 grams Ginger
- 1 tbsp Cornflour (Dissolved in a few drops of water)
- Mix all of your sauce ingredients together then set aside.
- Coat your chicken in your cornflour and air fry or bake until cooked through and crispy.
- Fry your onion, garlic, ginger and peppers in a large pan for a few minutes.
- Pour in your pineapple in its juice and your pre made sauce.
- Pour in your dissolved cornflour. Cook until thickened.
- Add in your cooked chicken and stir through.
- Serve with rice or noodles and enjoy!!