Hey everyone! Another delicious and simple bread recipe for you. Since it’s BBQ season I thought I would share this tasty recipe. Theres something so satisfying about making your own burger buns.
You can top these buns with any seeds or nuts you like or you can leave them plain. This recipe has two proving stages but they are definitely worth the effort.
This dough is a brioche style dough using eggs. It’s slightly sweeter and richer which works fantastic as a burger buns. The dough is a slightly wetter dough so don’t panic if you think it is too wet. When you are shaping your buns just use a generously floured work surface.
When shaping you want a nice round piece of dough with some height to it. They will spread a bit on the second prove. I will include some pictures below on how I get a nice round shape on my buns. The key to this is folding the dough into itself then round them in the palm of your hands.
Sesame Burger Buns
Prep time: 30 Minutes
Cook time: 20-25 minutes
Prove time: 2-3 Hours
- 535g Plain flour
- 7g Instant Yeast (1 sachet)
- 2 Teaspoons salt
- 4 Teaspoons sugar
- 220ml Warm water
- 50ml Milk
- 60g Soft Butter
- 2 eggs + 1 for egg wash
- Sesame seeds
- In a stand mixer or a mixing bowl, add flour, salt, sugar, yeast and butter.
- Mix until you have the texture of breadcrumbs.
- Add in your milk, water and eggs.
- Knead until dough comes away from the side of the bowl and is slightly springy. This will take about 10 minutes in a stand mixer. This dough will be slightly sticky but that’s okay.
- Place in a clean oiled bowl and cover with cling film or towel. Let rise till doubled in size. Mine took 1 hour.
- Remove dough onto a generously flour surface and knock back the air.
- Divide into 6 equal balls. I used a weighing scales to do this. My balls were about 150g each.
- Shape into an even round ball.
- Place each ball onto baking trays lined with parchment.
- Cover with clingfilm and prove for 1 hour. Try keep the clingfilm off the rolls, I used a glass to do this.
- Preheat your oven to 200C/ 180C Fan, 30 minutes before baking.
- Before baking, crack your extra egg into a bowl and whisk. Brush each roll with the egg wash. Make sure you don’t have a pool of egg around the bottom of the bun.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Leave to cool.
- Make up some delicious burgers and enjoy! (These are best the day of baking)
If you make this recipe I would love for you to tag me on Instagram!#gills_bakesandcakes @gills_bakesandcakes