Hey guys! A classic recipe for you today, bringing things back to the basics with a delicious and easy Sandwich Loaf recipe. A white sandwich bread style loaf, perfect for all your sandwich needs!
This can be made by hand or using a stand mixer so I have instructed you on each below. Do not panic if you are making it by hand, when you knead it on a table it will be sticky but just keep kneading it and after about 15 minutes the gluten will build up and form a lovely stretchy and smooth ball. Its a work out doing it by hand but 100% worth it.
I made this in a 2lb loaf tin but make it in whatever you may have or even just on a flat tray! You can also double or half this recipe depending on how much you would like to make. If you would prefer to make these into small bread rolls you definitely can! I would say they will only need about 12 minutes or so in the oven but you will know when they are ready if you tap the base and it is hollow. An egg wash on top would be so lovely on the bread rolls!
If you have any questions Dm me on Instagram. Happy Baking! <3 Keep an eye out on my Instagram for a Reel of me making this Sandwich Loaf to help you along!
- 2 lb Loaf tin
- Mixing bowl or Stand mixer
- Weighing scales
- 625 grams White strong flour
- 1 Sachet instant yeast Approx. 7g
- 2 tsp Caster sugar
- 2 tsp Salt
- 60 grams Butter
- 365 grams Water
- In a stand mixer or a mixing bowl, add flour, salt, sugar and butter then place on a low speed to break up the butter.
- Add your slightly Luke warm water to a bowl and add in your yeast to bloom for 5 minutes then add into your mixer.
- Knead for about 8-10 minutes until dough comes together to form a smooth ball. If you are doing it by hand it will take about 10-15 mins. This dough will be a little sticky to start but that’s okay it will come together and become nice and smooth once ready.
- You can test if you dough is ready by using the windowpane test. Check out this webpage and video if you are unsure!
- Roll your ball up into a smooth ball and rest for a few minutes.
- Turn this ball upside down and flatten down till nice and round, grab both sides and fold them into the centre like a book. Taking the top of the book, roll it up into a log shape. I have a video over on my Instagram to help you follow along which will be easier.
- Add your shaped dough into a greased tin, cover with a tea towel and let rise until doubled in size. Timing will depend in the heat of your room, mine took about 30-40 minutes.
- Once doubled, dust the top with flour and score the top of the dough how you like, I just did 4 slashes.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes until golden brown then remove from the oven.
- Remove your bread onto a cooling rack then let cool fully.