Hello everyone! A cute little Valentines inspired recipe for you today. Of course it had to be a red velvet recipe, what could be more valentines! These are delicious mini red velvet cookies packed with white chocolate chips and sandwiched together with a velvety cream cheese and vanilla buttercream.
Guys, please only use a red food gel. Don’t use the liquid red food colouring you buy in the supermarkets. It will not work. Super value or sugar sisters stock my favourite professional Progel colouring. Or if you can’t get that Dr. oetker do a red food gel that’s available in most supermarkets.
If you aren’t a fan of cream cheese just replace it with more butter. You may need to add a drop of milk to the buttercream to thin it out for piping. Or just use ice-cream!!
If you have any questions Dm me on Instagram. Happy Baking! <3 Keep an eye out on my Instagram for a Reel of me making these! Also, check out my new facebook group ”Gills Bakes and Cakes <3”
Red Velvet Cookie Sandwiches
Prep time: 15 minutes
Chill time: 45 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Servings: 6 cookie sandwiches (12 cookies)
- 110g Unsalted Butter (Room temp)
- 100g Light brown sugar
- 60g Caster sugar
- 1 Egg – Large
- 240g Plain flour
- 10g Cocoa powder
- 1 Teaspoon red food gel
- 1/2 Teaspoon Bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 150g White chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla extract
- 60g Unsalted butter (Room temp)
- 40g Cream cheese
- 200g Icing sugar
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and both sugars until light and fluffy.
- Add in vanilla, red food gel and egg, combine till smooth.
- Sieve in flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt and mix until you have a firm dough. If it looks crumbly don’t worry it will come together with your hands.
- Add in your chocolate chips and fold evenly through your cookie dough.
- Portion up 12 even cookie dough balls. Mine were about 60g each.
- Mould cookie dough into balls and place in the freezer for at least 45 mins.
- Preheat your oven to 200C/ 180C Fan 30 minutes before baking.
- Bake 4 cookies at a time so they have room to spread.
- Bake for 10 minutes. If slightly domed on top just gently flatten with your hand while your cookies are still warm so you have a flat surface to sit your cookies. Once baked remove from the oven and cool completely.
- Buttercream- Whip up your butter till light and pale in colour then whisk in your cream cheese and vanilla.
- Mix in your icing sugar in 2 batches until nice and silky.
- Pipe your buttercream onto the base of 6 of the cookies then sandwich together with another cookie.
- Decorate the edges of the buttercream if you wish with sprinkles or white chocolate shavings.
- ENJOY!! <3
If you make this recipe I would love for you to tag me on Instagram!#Gills_bakesandcakes @Gills_bakesandcakes