Hello everyone! Something a little different today. One of my favourite bakes has to be a Bakewell tart. I am a huge lover of anything almond flavour. Frangipane is just beautiful and simple. Raspberries are also my favourite fruit. This is a lovely summer bake that’s not too heavy. I have a tendency to constantly bake with chocolate so I thought I would change it up today.
This is a really simple tart to do and it looks fantastic. A Perfect dessert!
I did a shortcrust pastry with a tiny bit of sugar in it. Its crisp and buttery which helps with the sweet filling. This can be used with any jam or fruit but I had to pick raspberries. I picked up some Keelings raspberries while shopping and they were insanely good. So big and juicy, that’s what inspired me to make this tart.
I’ll include some pictures I took along the way. I blind baked my pastry so I had a nice crisp bottom. I used some parchment paper and baking beans to do this. You can use many different products to blind bake Eg. Rice, Dried Beans/lentils/peas, steel balls. Once I blind baked I threw it back in the oven for 5 minutes without my baking beans just to dry it out a little more.
Raspberry and Almond Bakewell Tart
Prep time: 30 minutes (Not including chill time)
Cook time: 55-60 minutes (In total)
- 225g Plain flour
- 95g Cold butter
- 3-4 Tablespoons Cold water
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon sugar
- 2 Tablespoons of your desired jam ( I used Raspberry)
- 125g Melted butter
- 125g Caster sugar
- 125g Ground almonds
- 1 Egg
- 1 Teaspoon Almond extract
- 1/4 Teaspoon Vanilla
- Handful of raspberries (Optional)
- 40g Flaked almonds
- 70g Icing sugar
- 1/4 Teaspoon almond extract
- Water ( About 1 teaspoon or till the right consistency- Thick but moveable)
- Grease your 9×9 flan/tart dish.
- In a mixing bowl add flour and chopped up cold butter.
- Rub in butter with your finger tips till you get the texture of fine breadcrumbs.
- Add in your water till you form a soft dough.
- Place dough on a floured surface and roll out slightly bigger than your dish. Make sure to keep your surface floured to avoid sticking.
- Line your baking dish with the pastry. Trying to get it as neat and even as possible. I used my thumb to take off access pastry around the edges.
- Chill in the fridge for 25-30 minutes and preheat your oven to 200C/ 180C Fan.
- Once pastry has chilled, Crumple up some parchment and open it back up. Place on top of your pastry lined dish and fill with your baking beans.
- Place in the oven for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes remove from the oven and take out baking beans and parchment.
- Bake for another 5 minutes to dry out a little more.
- Leave to cool slightly. Keep your oven on.
- Spread your jam on the base of your pastry.
- In a mixing bowl, add melted butter, sugar and almonds and mix till combined.
- Mix in egg, vanilla and almond.
- Spoon frangipane mix on top of jam layer.
- Place raspberries into the frangipane.
- Sprinkle with flaked almonds.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until nice and golden on top.
- Leave to cool.
- Once cooled, Mix icing sugar with extract and water. Drizzle over the top of your tart.
- Leave icing to set slightly. Add some fresh raspberries on top if you wish!
- Cut yourself a slice and enjoy!
If you make this recipe I would love for you to tag me on Instagram! #Gills_bakesandcakes @Gills_bakesandcakes