Hello guys! A lovely new bread recipe for you today. I CANNOT stress how beautiful this Pretzel bread roll recipe is! It’s just absolutely delicious and so simple to make.
Crisp salty crust with a light and fluffy center. Delicious warm out of the oven with loads of butter or made into various sandwiches. These would be insane as burger buns too! So many possibilities. I made a delicious pulled ham sandwich with my buns with some fresh crisp salad, Ballymaloe relish and coleslaw. So yummy!
These bread rolls are a lot simpler then you think. The trick to getting the pretzel effect is so quick and easy. Once you prove and shape your dough you place them in a pot of boiling water, salt and bicarbonate of soda/baking soda for 1 minute make a little cut on top then bake. Easy!
These are easily the nicest bread rolls I have ever made. They will be a regular bake in my house 100%. They went down such a treat.
I will leave some process pictures below to help you out along the way. Happy baking!
Pretzel Bread Rolls
Prep time: 30 Minutes
Cook time: 20-25 minutes
Prove time: 1 Hour
- 525g Plain flour
- 7g Yeast (1 sachet)
- 2 Teaspoons salt
- 2 Teaspoons sugar
- 300ml Warm water
- 50g Soft Butter
- Flakey sea salt (I used Maldon)
- 2 liters of water
- 60g Bicarbonate of soda/Baking soda
- 15g Salt
- In a stand mixer or a mixing bowl, add flour, salt, sugar, yeast and butter.
- Add in water and using your hands or a dough hook mix together.
- Knead for about 8-10 minutes until dough comes together. This dough will be a little stick but that’s okay.
- Place in an oiled bowl and cover with cling film or towel. Let rise till doubled in size. Mine took 1 hour.
- Once dough has doubled, remove dough onto a floured surface.
- Portion dough into 8 equal balls. I used a scales and my balls were roughly 105g each.
- Roll each portion into a tight even ball and place onto a lightly oiled piece of parchment and cover with a towel.
- Preheat your oven to 200C/ 180C Fan.
- Place a large pot on a medium heat and add in 2 litres of water. Bring to a boil and add your salt and Bicarbonate of soda. Be careful this will let off steam.
- With a slotted spoon place 4 dough balls into the water and cook for 30 seconds on each side. Remove and place back on the parchment. Repeat.
- With a sharp knife slice the top of your buns in your preferred design then sprinkle with flakey sea salt.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until dark and golden.
- Delicious warm or made into some delicious sandwiches or burgers!!
If you make this recipe I would love for you to tag me on Instagram!#gills_bakesandcakes @gills_bakesandcakes