Hey guys! A simple classic recipe for you today that we all love, Millionaires Shortbread! A buttery soft base with a thick layer of delicious caramel topped with a thick layer of chocolate. Amazing! A great staple to have under your belt.
Guys be super careful when making the caramel for these millionaires Square. Be careful it dosent splash up on you when it is boiling and please do not touch it at all! Sugar burns are the worst of burns, trust me!! You do not want it to touch your skin at all.
If you find that your caramel is too runny when set this just means you have slightly undercooked the caramel. If your caramel is too hard you have slightly over done it. Not to worry at all because they will still be delicious either way! Working with sugar can always be a little bit trickier but if you follow the instructions on boiling for 5 minutes it will be perfect! I will have a recipe reel over on my Instagram page to help you along.
When portioning up your Millionaires Shortbread please use a knife warmed up in hot water. This will make it so much easier for you! You will get much cleaner slices and it will stop your chocolate cracking on top. You can also cut these into how many pieces you like wether it be 9 large or 16 small its up to you.
If you have any questions Dm me on Instagram. Happy Baking! Keep an eye out on my Instagram for a Reel of me making these Millionaires Shortbread !
- Baking paper
- Baking tray
- Medium pot
- Weighing scales
- 180 grams Salted Butter Cold & Cubed
- 90 grams Caster Sugar
- 240 grams Plain flour
- ¼ tsp Vanilla Extract
- 150 grams Salted Butter
- 150 grams Light Brown Sugar
- 1 Tin Condensed milk
- 2 tbsp Golden syrup
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 300 grams Chocolate (I used half milk & half dark)
- Preheat your oven to 180C/160C Fan and line a 8×8 square tin with parchment paper.
- Add your flour and cubed butter into a mixing bowl. Rub together till you have a breadcrumb like consistency.
- Mix in your sugar and vanilla. This will still look very crumbly but place the mix into your prepared tin.
- Flatten down the mix until its nice and even. Bake for 20-25 minutes until lightly golden on top. Set aside while we make the caramel.
- Add all of your ingredients into a pot and put on a medium heat.
- Using a spatula constantly mix. You dont want anything to catch at the bottom. Once your mixture comes to a boil, boil for 5 minutes while stirring constantly. Good idea to set a timer for this to get it perfect! Your mixture will thicken and darken when its ready.
- Put this mix directly on top of your shortbread layer. Smooth out flat then set in the fridge till cool. Please mind your fingers as the mixture is incredibly hot!!
- Melt your chocolate in short blasts in the microwave then pour on top of your cooled caramel.
- Smooth out till even then set in the fridge until firm.
- Once fully cool, heat up a knife in a glass of hot water then cut your bake into squares.
- Please be very careful when making the caramel as it is a very hot mix that will burn badly.
- When completely cool use a hot sharp knife to cut your bake, this will give you super sharp cuts.
- Feel free to use a different chocolate topping either either if you like!
- Add a pinch of sea salt to your chocolate before setting if you like.
- I use these food scales *- Digital Scales
- This is the induction hob I used*- Tefal Everyday Induction Hob
- I use these heat proof spatulas*- High-Heat Silicone Spatula
- My 8×8 square tin is out of stock but this is a great sub*-20cm Square Cake Baking Tin
If you make this recipe I would love for you to tag me on Instagram!#gills_bakesandcakes @gills_bakesandcakes