Hey everyone! Hope you all had a great easter. I really wanted to try do this recipe inspired by millionaires shortbread. I love the base I use for my brownie so I thought I would mix things up and create this. The only slightly tricky thing in this recipe is the caramel part. Its only 3 ingredients but you want to make sure you get it thick enough and to a nice rich amber colour. Also, please make sure to cool completely after each step.
This recipe uses chocolate so if you have load of Easter eggs around the house, us them up! You can top this with whatever chocolate you prefer. I used milk and dark chocolate.The dark chocolate helps with the sweetness. I also topped mine with some flakey sea salt. It works so well! An optional step.
Prep time: 40 minutes (Not including chill time)
Cook time: 30-40 minutes
Servings: 9-12 (Depending on what size you prefer )
- 70g Butter
- 150g Caster Sugar
- 40g Cocoa
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 Egg
- 30g Plain flour
- Vanilla Flavouring ( I used 20 drops of https://www.foodieflavours.com/shop/flavours/natural-flavouring/vanilla/)
- 50g Chocolate chips
- 1 Tin of condensed milk (397g)
- 150g Brown sugar
- 150g Butter
- Pinch of salt (To your preference)
- 200g of your preferred chocolate
- Preheat oven to 160C/ 180C Fan. Line your 8×8 baking dish with baking parchment
- Melt butter in microwave.
- In a mixing bowl add sugar,salt and cocoa powder.
- Add melted butter into mixing bowl and mix combine.
- Next, add your egg and vanilla into mixture and mix until incorporated.
- Add sieved flour and chocolate chips into mix and fold everything together just until its combined.
- Place into lined dish and spread evenly.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool to room temp.
- Place butter and sugar in a pot on medium heat.
- Once melted cook for about 2 minutes mixing constantly.
- Add in your condensed milk and mix .
- Once it comes to a boil cook for about 5-10 minutes until thickened and darkened to a rich amber colour.
- Poor mix over cooled brownies and set in the fridge for about an hour.
- Melt your chocolate and pour over set caramel.I topped mine with some flakey salt.
- Place in the fridge till set. (About 2 hours)
- I trimmed all of my sides with a hot knife before portioning so I got nice neat pieces.
- Portion up with a hot knife into whatever sized slices you prefer.
- Enjoy! Keep your slices in the fridge to avoid caramel melting.
If you make this recipe I would love for you to tag me on Instagram!#Gills_bakesandcakes @Gills_bakesandcakes