Hey Everyone! Time for another insane cupcake recipe! I did a poll recently on Instagram and this one by a mileeee. The majority of you guys picked these from the list. I was secretly delighted with this..
This is a super fudgy and moist chocolate cupcake filled with a Malteaser ganache core, topped with a silky Malt buttercream and decorated with more malteaser’s and a chocolate drizzle. This buttercream is to die for! It tastes exactly like the centre of a malteaser but super smooth and creamy. Probably one of my favourite buttercreams I have ever tried!
This is a pretty simple recipe but feel free to leave out the core ganache if you like. I just wanted them to be packed with that delicious Malteaser flavour. You can also decorate these with any of your favourite Malteaser treats.
The Malted milk powder should be easy enough for you to find. It will be in the hot chocolate/ coffee section in most supermarkets. Probably not something you can find in Lidl/Aldi but defiantly in most Tesco’s/ Supervalues. I used the brand Horlicks.
This are super rich and moist cake so they have a good few days shelf life once you store them in an airtight container.
Happy Baking! <3 Dm me on Instagram if you have an questions.
Prep time: 40 minutes
Cook time: 20-22 minutes
- 115g Dark chocolate
- 115g Unsalted butter
- 70g Plain flour
- 20g Malted Milk powder (Horlicks)
- 15g Cocoa powder
- Half teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8th of a teaspoon Bicarbonate soda
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee dissolved in 60ml of boiling water
- 80g of caster sugar
- 100g of light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 40ml of buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 170g Unsalted butter ( Room Temp )
- 340g Icing sugar
- 1-2 teaspoons milk (Till silky and pipeable)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 25g Malted milk powder
Malteaser ganache core
- 80g Cream
- 140g Malteaser Teasers bar
- 10g Malted milk powder
- 40g Melted chocolate
- Preheat oven to 180C/160CFan and get your 12 cupcake tin lined with your desired cupcake cases.
- Melt Dark chocolate and butter together.
- While chocolate mixture is melting sieve all dry ingredients (Flour,malted milk powder,cocoa,baking powder, salt and Bicarbonate) into a bowl.
- Add in caster sugar and brown sugar to the dry ingredients and mix.
- In a separate bowl, Mix together the buttermilk, vanilla and eggs.
- Make your dissolved coffee mixture and add it to the chocolate/butter mixture.
- Now it’s time to incorporate your wet ingredients with your dry ingredients. (Chocolate mix and milk/eggs) (Be careful not to overmix as this will result in a dense cake). Fold the mixture.
- Once combined, scoop mix into cupcake cases evenly. An ice-cream scoop is ideal for this! Bake in the oven for 20-22 minutes and then leave to cool completely.
- Place cream and teaser chocolate into a bowl and microwave for 30 seconds. Stir till melted.
- Mix in the malted milk powder. Place in the fridge to cool.
- Place soft butter into a mixing bowl. Using an electric hand whisk, whip up until very pale and fluffy. This will take about 5 minutes.
- Add icing sugar in 3 separate batches until incorporated well.
- Whisk in malted milk powder and vanilla.
- Whisk in milk to thin it out if needed.
- Set buttercream aside.
- Now that the cakes are cool with want to core them. I use a cupcake corer but an apple corer or knife will do the trick. Fill up each cupcake with Teaser ganache.
- (If using a piping back to decorate) Fill up your piping bag. I used a Wilton 1m Tip. Swirl buttercream on top of cupcake and place on some maltasers.
- Drizzle with chocolate.
- Take a snap of your creation and enjoy!
- Store in a air tight container for up to 4 days.
If you make this recipe I would love for you to tag me on Instagram!#gills_bakesandcakes @gills_bakesandcakes