Hello everyone! Lemon Drizzle Cake recipe for your today! A Classic recipe that we all know and love! A zesty sponge soaked in a lemon drizzle then topped with another delicious lemon icing! A quick and easy dessert that everyone will love, you can’t go wrong!
I used a medium sized loaf tin to bake this Lemon Drizzle. It is roughly 2 pounds. You can use any size tin you have just increase or decrease your cooking time depending on the size of your tin. If you keep an eye on your cake after the 45 minute mark you can check wether your cake is done or if it needs and extra 10 or so minutes.
When it comes to the lemon flavour, please use fresh lemon zest and juice. The difference is incredible! You can want to use and essence liquid or lemon juice concentrate as its not the same at all. The fresh lemons a PACKED with all the flavour you need! If you are feeling fancy you could add in some fresh fruit to the sponge Eg. Raspberry, Blueberry. I would use about a handful at most as you don’t want that much extra moisture. It would also be so pretty if you were to decorate the top with some fresh fruit too! Its all up to you and what you would love!
If you have any questions Dm me on Instagram. Happy Baking! <3 Keep an eye out on my Instagram for a Reel of me making this Lemon Drizzle Cake ! Also, check out my facebook group ”Gills Bakes and Cakes <3”
Lemon Drizzle Cake
- Loaf tin (Medium)
- Baking paper
- Electric whisk
- Weighing scales
- 225 grams Unsalted Butter
- 225 grams Caster Sugar
- 225 grams Self raising flour
- 3 Large Eggs
- 2 Lemons Zested
- Pinch of salt
- 60 ml Lemon Juice
- 60 Grams Caster Sugar
- 200 grams Icing sugar
- 3/4 tsp Lemon Jucie (Enough to make it drizzle over your cake)
- Extra zest for sprinkling
- Preheat your oven to 180C/160 C Fan. Grease your loaf tin and line with parchment.
- In a mixing bowl, Cream butter and sugar together till pale and fluffy.
- Add in your lemon zest.
- Mix in eggs one at a time until combined.
- Sieve in flour and salt then gently fold into wet mix.
- Put cake mix into your loaf tin and bake for 45-55 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. (You can also tell if your cake is ready if your press your finger into the center and it springs back)
- Just before your cake is finished baking mix together your drizzle ingredients.
- Take the cake out of the oven and after 5 minutes poke small holes into your cake and spoon over your drizzle.
- Leave to cool completely then remove from the tin onto your serving plate.
- Mix together your Icing ingredients until you have a nice drizzle consistency.
- Spoon icing over your cooled loaf cake. Decorate with some lemon zest.
- Leave to set for about 30 minutes.
- This drizzle cake will last 4+ days stored in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Cooking time may vary depending on the size of your loaf tin but keep an eye on it after the 45 minute mark.
- Feel free to leave the extra icing off if you wish.
- Please use actually lemon zest and juice as the flavour is 100 times better then extract or juice concentrate.
- I use these food scales *- Salter Digital Scales
- Stainless steel prep bowls*- Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls
- I use these heat proof spatulas*- High-Heat Silicone Spatula
If you make this recipe I would love for you to tag me on Instagram!#Gills_bakesandcakes @Gills_bakesandcakes