Hey everyone! A lovely light and summery bake for you today! I love a lemon and raspberry combo. Such a tangy and delicious flavour that’s perfect for a summer dessert. Raspberries are also my favourite fruit and just love to bake with them!
These are so simple with a Victoria sponge base. I added lemon zest to the sponge and some raspberries into the cupcake cases when filling them. I did a centre core in the cupcakes, 6 with lemon curd and 6 with raspberry jam. I used the delicious www.crossoguepreserves.com that was kindly gifted to me. I will 100% be using these beautiful preserves for my bakes more often.
For the buttercream topping I did half lemon and half raspberry. I popped the buttercream in strips on some cling film, rolled it up and placed it in my piping bag. This created a beautiful swirl. Check out the pictures below.
I made one batch of plain buttercream then split it in half to create a lemon and raspberry flavour. If you prefer one flavour just double up the lemon/raspberry ingredients.
Lemon and Raspberry Cupcakes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 18-20 minutes
- 175g Butter
- 175g Caster sugar
- 175g Self raising flour
- 3 Eggs
- Zest from 2 Lemons
- 2 Tablespoons of milk
- 12 Raspberries
- 6 Tablespoons Raspberry jam
- 6 Tablespoons Lemon curd
- 170g Unsalted butter
- 340g Icing sugar
- Lemon flavour
- Zest from 1 Lemon
- 1 Tablespoon lemon curd
- Drop of yellow food gel
- Raspberry flavour
- 2 Tablespoons raspberry jam
- Drop of pink food gel
- Lemon slices
- Fresh Raspberries
- Sprinkle of freeze dried raspberries
- Preheat your oven to 180C/160 C Fan. Line your cupcake tray with your preferred cupcake cases.
- In a mixing bowl, Cream butter and sugar together till pale and fluffy.
- Add in your lemon zest.
- Mix in eggs one at a time until combined.
- Sieve flour in and then gently fold into wet mix.
- Fold in milk to loosen the batter slightly.
- Spoon a small amount of batter into each case then place in a raspberry.
- Spoon the rest of the mix on top making sure each cupcake is even.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Leave to cool completely.
- Now that the cakes are cool with want to core them. I use a cupcake corer but an apple corer or knife will do the trick. Fill up 6 cupcakes with jam and 6 cupcakes with lemon curd. Set aside.
- Place soft butter into a mixing bowl. Using an electric hand whisk, whip up until very pale and fluffy. This will take about 5 minutes.
- Add icing sugar in 3 separate batches until incorporated well.
- Split mixture into 2 separate bowls.
- For the lemon flavour, add in your curd, yellow gel and zest and mix.
- For the raspberry flavour, add in you jam and pink gel then mix.
- Lay out a piece of cling film and line out your colours on it. Roll up and place in a piping bag with a piping tip.
- Pipe onto your cupcakes and decorate with whatever you like. I used fresh and freeze dried raspberries and lemon slices.
If you make this recipe I would love for you to tag me on Instagram!#gills_bakesandcakes @gills_bakesandcakes