Hello everyone! A delicious simple and fast recipe for you today. A classic with a twist, Lemon and Blueberry Scones. A classic bake with a twist! Buttery soft scones filled with juicy blueberries and zesty lemon, topped with a blueberry drizzle.
You couldn’t get an easier recipe than a scone right? So simple and delicious. You can definitely leave out the blueberries throughout the scone for a classic buttermilk scone! Top with anything you like. I love a scone smothered in butter but also ADORE a raspberry jam and whipped cream topping. This would be lovely with some lemon curd too!
Cooking time! I have left a rough guide on cooking time as all ovens may vary. I can tell if a scone is cooked if it has a nice golden top, a golden even base that when you tap it sounds hollow. Also if I press down in the centre of the scone it springs back slightly. If you over mix your blueberries in the scone it may cause extra moisture and longer cooking times so try not mix them in too much.
If you have any questions about this traybake, Dm me on Instagram. Happy Baking! <3 Keep an eye out on my Instagram for a Reel of me making this Lemon and Blueberry Scones recipe !
Lemon and Blueberry Scones
- Baking tray
- Baking paper
- 500 grams Self raising flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 50 grams Caster Sugar
- 115 grams Salted butter Cold and cubed
- 225 grams Buttermilk
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 Egg
- 100 grams Blueberries + a small handful for the drizzle
- 1 Lemon zest and juice
- A few tablespoons of icing sugar
- Preheat your oven to 200C/180C Fan. Line a baking tray with parchment.
- In a small bowl whisk together your buttermilk, vanilla and egg. Set aside.
- In a larger bowl add in your flour, baking powder, lemon zest, sugar and cubed butter. Rub the butter into the flour until you have smaller lumps of butter. Various sizes of clumps is what we are looking for.
- Make a well in the centre of your large bowl and then pour in your wet mix and squeeze in your lemon juice. Gently bring the mix together.
- Once it has formed a dough VERY gently fold through the bluberries then pour the mix onto a counter top.
- Fold the dough together very gently to form a smooth ball then using a rolling pin or your hands flatten down. This recipe makes 6 very large scones that are nice and thick. So using a round cutter make 6 even scones with your dough while flouring the cutter on every stamp. The less you work with this dough the better. If you want to make 8 smaller ones that okay too!
- Add your scones onto your baking tray and brush with an egg wash on top (Optional)
- Bake for approx. 20-25 minutes or until the base has a nice colour. See cooking notes above!
- Mash some extra blueberries through a sieve to get their juice. Add a few tablespoons of icing sugar to a bowl then pour in your blueberry juice bit by bit until you have a nice runny texture.
- Leave to cool then serve with jam, cream & butter or whatever is your go to! Enjoy!