I thought it was time to share some very simple bread recipes. Unfortunately, we are all going through very difficult times at the moment and this is something so simple with very few ingredients you may have at home. Great to entertain yourself or the kids.
This recipe can be change to suit whatever you have. You can play around with this bread using different quantities of flours as it’s such a basic recipe, you can’t go wrong! I have been making different versions myself the past few days. So delicious and great with soup!
Only white flour? – If you only have white flour, Use 610g and ignore the wholemeal and oats. This will give you a white soda bread, just as delicious!
No buttermilk? – If you don’t have buttermilk you can make this very easily. In a jug, add 500mls of milk. Add two tablespoons of lemon juice OR white vinegar. Leave this at room temperature for about 30 minutes. This will thicken and curdle. Then continue using this mixture as in the recipe.
Brown soda bread
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 250g Plain flour
- 250g Strong Wholemeal flour ( I used-https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/food-cupboard-flour-odlums-strong-wholemeal-2-kilogram-/p-1014593003)
- 110g Porridge oats
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda/baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 30g soft butter
- 500ml buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 190C/ 170C Fan/ Gas mark 5. Flour a baking tray.
- In a mixing bowl, add all dry ingredients.
- Next, add your soft butter and rub in with your finger tips till you get a fine crumb.
- Make a well in the center and add your buttermilk.
- Mix together very lightly just till it comes together to form a sticky ball.
- Wash your hands and keep them wet. Take the dough from the bowl and mould into a circle on your baking tray. Sprinkle with a little more flour and oats.
- Now the traditional part. Get a butter knife and but a cross into your dough. Cut about 1/3 off the way through.
- Bake for 30 minutes. To check if your bread is cooked, turn it upside down and tap.If there is a hollow sound your bread is fully baked, if not put it back in for a few minutes.
If you make this recipe I would love for you to tag me on Instagram!#gills_bakesandcakes