Hello guys! A new amazing cake recipe for you today, Gingerbread Traybake Cake. A delicious festive spiced brown sugar sponge topped with a gingerbread inspired frosting. Super simple and so moreish!
If you don’t have an 8×8 inch tray you can still use this recipe. If your tray is larger just reduce the cooking time by a few minutes, if your tray is smaller your cake will be taller so up your cooking time by a few minutes. You could also bake this isn’t two small round tins and bake it as a layer cake. It’s up to you! I just love the ease of a traybake cake.
If you have any questions Dm me on Instagram. Happy Baking! <3 Keep an eye out on my Instagram for a Reel of me making this Gingerbread Traybake Cake.
Gingerbread Traybake Cake
- 8×8 Tin
- Baking paper
- Electric whisk
- Weighing scales
- 200 grams Unsalted Butter
- 200 grams Light Brown Sugar
- 200 grams Self raising flour
- ½ tsp Salt
- 100 grams Treacle (Golden syrup as replacement)
- 3 Eggs
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 4 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 tsp Mixed spice
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 4 tsp Milk
- 150 grams Unsalted butter
- 300 grams Icing sugar
- 2 tsp Ground Ginger
- ¼ tsp Ground Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Mixed spice
- 6-8 tsp Milk (Enough till smooth and spreadable)
- Mini Gingerbread biscuits to decorate (Optional)
- Preheat your oven to 180C/160 C Fan. Grease and line your 8×8 square tray.
- In a mixing bowl, Cream butter and sugar together till pale and fluffy.
- Mix in eggs one at a time until combined.
- Mix in your vanilla and treacle.
- Fold in your sieved flour, salt and spices.
- Fold through your milk.
- Spoon the mix into your cake tin and smooth down.
- Bake for about 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean and the cake springs bake when you gently press it.
- Leave to cool completely.
- In a mixing bowl, Cream butter till pale and fluffy using an electric whisk.
- Whisk in your icing sugar in two batches till fully combined. Mix in your spices.
- Add in your milk till you get a spreadable consistency.
- Spread your buttercream on top of your chilled cake. I did mine nice and rough.
- Decorate however you like. I used various mini gingerbread men whole and crushed.
- Slice up and Enjoy!!!
If you make this cake recipe I would love for you to tag me on Instagram!#Gills_bakesandcakes @Gills_bakesandcakes (PS. If you are on private I will not see so send me on some snaps <3 )