Hello everyone! Chicken Gyros with Homemade Pitas for you today. A super simple but flavour packed dish that all the family will love! A delicious meal you will want to make again and again! Packed with flavours and simple to make.
Gyros is once of my favourite dishes and I love trying to recreate it at home. Greek cuisine will always be my favourite. The flavours are just on another level. This probably isn’t the most traditional recipe it would have a little of my own twist. Its just soo soo delicious, I make it at home all the time.
Making your own pitas might sound intimidating but trust me, it couldn’t be easier! One of the easiest homemade breads you could make. They take very little effort and they taste so much better than shop bought! So give it a go!
Use any garnishes to fill up your chicken gyros pita, you can’t go wrong. Just please try out the homemade Tzatiki, its honestly one of my favourite things ever!! Super simple but takes things to a different level.
If you have any questions Dm me on Instagram. Happy Baking! <3 Keep an eye out on my Instagram for a Reel of me making this Chicken Gyros with Homemade Pitas ! Also, check out my facebook group ”Gills Bakes and Cakes <3”
Chicken Gyros with Homemade Pitas
- Frying pan
- Grill pan/BBQ
- Rolling Pin
- Chopping board
- Baking paper
- 250 grams Plain flour
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 5 grams Instant dry yeast
- 7 grams Salt
- 50 mls Milk (Room temp)
- 100 mls Warm water
- 400 grams Boneless chicken thighs (Or breast)
- 4 tbsp Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- Big pinch of salt
- Cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp Smoked paprika
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- 2 tbsp Oregano Fresh or dried
- ½ tsp Cumin
- ½ tsp Ground corriander
- 2 crushed Garlic cloves
- ½ tsp Chilli powder
- 1 Lemon (Zest & Juice)
- ½ tsp Dill (Fresh or dried)
- ½ tsp Mint (Fresh or dried)
- 200 grams Greek yogurt
- Half a Cucumber
- 1 clove Garlic (Crushed)
- 2 tsp Chopped Dill
- 2 tsp Chopped Mint
- Salt & Pepper
- Red Onion
- Hot sauce
- Ether a few hours or the night before you can marinade your chicken.
- Add all of your ingredients into a bowl and mix.
- Cover with clingfilm and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Grate half of your cucumber then squeeze as much water out of it as you can, you can use your hands or place it inside a tea towel.
- Place the cucumber into a clean bowl then add in the rest of your ingredients and mix.
- Cover and chill until needed in the fridge.
- In a clean bowl, add your flour, salt and yeast.
- Mix you milk, water and olive oil together then pour into your flour.
- Mix with your hands until you have formed a dough. Place onto a clean surface and need for about 5-10 minutes until you have a nice and smooth ball.
- Leave to rise in a clean and oiled covered bowl in a warm place for about 1-1.5 hours or until doubled in size.
- Once doubled in size, start heating up your frying pan.
- Split the dough into 4 even balls then roll each ball out. You want them nice and thin, mine were about 8 inchs each.
- Fry on a high heat for about 1 minute on each side. You will notice its time to flip the pitas when it puffs and gets a nice golden colour in places on each side.
- Place in between tea towels until time to serve. This keeps them nice and flexable.
- Prepare all your garnish for your gyros pitas and have them ready to go.
- Place a pan/grill pan/BBQ on a medium/high heat.
- Remove your chicken from the fridge.
- Fry for about 6 minutes on each side or until cooked. Time will vary on the thickness of your chicken or the chicken style you have chosen.
- Once cooked, slice up into thin slices.
- Warm up your pitas slightly, serve with Tzatiki and your chosen garnishes.
- This is best eaten once cooked.
- Fell free to double/triple up on this recipe if you like.
- If you want to buy your own pitas instead that’s okay!
- You can use any style of chicken you like. Eg. Breast, Thigh.
- I use these food scales *- Salter Digital Scales
- Stainless steel prep bowls*- Steel Mixing Bowls
If you make this gyros recipe I would love for you to tag me on Instagram!#Gills_bakesandcakes @Gills_bakesandcakes (PS. If you are on private I will not see so send me on some snaps <3 )