Back to basics today with a simple vanilla/victoria sponge cake. This is my go to base for a lot of my cakes. Also, my cupcakes! I have gone by this recipe for my cakes for a good while now and I love it. It is so versatile, I have used it in my basic cakes and also in my more complex cakes.
I used this vanilla cake recipe in my pictures I have included. This is a naked vanilla and mixed berry cake. You could say it’s a modern take on the classic victoria sponge. Instead of cream I did an italian meringue buttercream and a berry coulis instead of jam. I will post this recipe in a separate blog post, but I wanted to share a simple base recipe with you guys today that you can experiment with.
If you want to take the classic route and just add cream and jam in the center, go for it! Dust a little icing sugar and top and you’ve got yourself a delicious light cake for any occasion.
Cupcakes? Just use the same recipe but half the quantities and place mix in a lined cupcake tin. Bake time will be shorter. 15-20 minutes, until golden brown and toothpick comes out clean.This should make about 12 cupcakes.
You can play around with these cupcakes yourself and add different ingredients you like. E.g. Chocolate chips, raspberries, lemon zest & blueberries. Possibilities are endless! Just make sure if you are adding anything with moisture, add a small amount . Baking time might also increase very slightly.
If you are looking for a very quick and easy topping you can use my whipped chocolate ganache recipes. Or your preferred topping.
- 250g Dark chocolate
- 250g Fresh cream
- White Chocolate Ganache
- 300g white chocolate
- 100g Fresh cream
- Heat up cream in a saucepan until sides start to bubble.
- Pour cream in a bowl with the chocolate and combine till melted.
- Leave to cool until stiff but moveable.
- Once ganache is set, Use an electric whisk and mix until you see it lightening in colour. This will only take a couple of seconds. Now pipe onto your cupcakes.
Basic Vanilla cake
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30-35 minutes
- 250g Unsalted butter (Room temp)
- 250g Caster sugar
- 250g Self raising flour
- 4 eggs
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Vanilla flavouring (I used 20 drops of my go to –https://www.foodieflavours.com/shop/flavours/natural-flavouring/vanilla/)
- Preheat oven 180C/160C Fan. Grease and line two 8 inch baking tins.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar till light and creamy. I used my stand mixer with a paddle attachment. An electric hand whisk will work perfect too! This will take about 5-10 minutes. You will know when this is ready when it has doubled in volume and is nearly white in colour.
- Mix in eggs one at a time until combined.
- Sieve flour in and then gently fold into wet mix.
- Add vanilla flavoring to the milk then add to the mix. Fold until just combined. Be careful not to overmix.
- Put cake mix into your cake tins, try get these as evenly as possible. I like to use a weighing scales to make sure they are equal. This will give you an even bake.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow cakes to cool completely before decorating.
If you make this recipe I would love for you to tag me on Instagram!#gills_bakesandcakes @gills_bakesandcakes