Hello everyone! Super delicious bagel recipe for you today topped with poppy seeds, sesame seeds and mixed seeds. Top yours with anything you like!
I topped mine with poppy seeds, sesame seeds and mixed seeds. My favourite will always be a poppy seed bagel. You can play around and use anything you like here. I wish I had of made a cheese topped one, they are soooo delicious. You could even make a sweet version of these. I love a cinnamon raisin bagel and you could easily add some raisins and cinnamon when making the dough.
If you like a glossy top on your bagels an egg wash is optional. Once you boil your shaped bagels leave them to dry off for a few minutes then give them an egg wash and sprinkle with your favourites seeds. I didn’t do this but and they were amazing without so it is only optional.
I will have a reel up on Instagram of me making these if you are having any difficulties shaping the bagels. There are probably a load of videos on YouTube you could check out if you want a more detailed video too. They are very easy and straight forward don’t worry!
Feel free to make a batch of these and freeze them. Make sure they are cool then wrap them really well then take them out of the freezer as you need them! You’ll be stocked up with fresh bagels for the whole week!
If you have any questions Dm me on Instagram. Happy Baking! <3 Keep an eye out on my Instagram for a Reel of me making these bagels to help you along! Also, check out my facebook group ”Gills Bakes and Cakes <3”
- Mixing bowl or Stand mixer
- Slotted spoon
- Baking paper
- Baking tray
- 500 grams Plain flour or strong
- 325 mls Warm water
- 7 grams Instant yeast
- 2 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 1 Beaten egg Optional
- 2 liters Water
- 3 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Salt
- In a stand mixer or a mixing bowl, add flour, salt, sugar and yeast.
- Add in water and using your hands or a dough hook mix together.
- Knead for about 8-10 minutes until dough comes together to form a smooth ball. If you are doing it by hand it will take about 10-15 mins. This dough will be a little sticky but that’s okay it will come together and become nice and smooth.
- Place in an oiled bowl and cover with cling film or a damp towel. Let rise till doubled in size. Mine took 1 hour in a warm spot.
- Once dough has doubled, remove dough onto a floured surface.
- Preheat your oven to 200C/ 180C Fan.
- Portion dough into 10 equal balls. I used a scales and my balls were roughly 82g each.
- Roll each portion into a ball.
- Take one dough ball then press your index finger through the center to make a hole then stretch about 1.5 – 2 inches in diameter. I did this by spinning it around my index finger then stretching it with both hands so all sides are even. Check out my reel on Instagram if you are unsure.
- Once you shape your bagels, place onto a lightly oiled piece of parchment and cover with a towel for about 10 minutes.
- Place a large pot on a medium heat and add in 2 litres of water. Bring to a boil and add your salt and sugar.
- With a slotted spoon place 2 bagels into the water and cook for 30 seconds on each side. Remove and place back on the parchment then top with seeds. Repeat till all your bagels have been poached. If you want your bagels glossy, leave them to dry off for a few minutes after poaching, brush with an egg wash then top with seeds.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden.
- You can use any of your favourite toppings in these. Eg. Cheese, Seeds, Nuts, Oats.
- These are best eaten on day 1 but can easily be freshened up in the oven or simply toasted.
- Once cool, these can be wrapped up and frozen for up to a month.
- I use these food scales *- Salter Digital Scales
- I used this baking tray *- Baking Tray
- Stainless steel prep bowls*-Steel Mixing Bowls
- This is the induction hob I used*- Tefal Everyday Induction Hob
If you make this bagel recipe I would love for you to tag me on Instagram!#gills_bakesandcakes @gills_bakesandcakes
2 thoughts on “Bagels”
Looks absolutely amazing. Would this recipe work if I substituted flour for wholewheat?
I haven’t tried it but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work 🙂